Wednesday, May 16, 2012

custom dress | 8th grade dance.

I know a girl. She's super cool and has great style. And to boot - she is only in the 8th grade. Kindred spirits we are. She makes me laugh harder than most people I know. She loves in a big, big way. Her heart for others, especially little tots and the people in Haiti, pushes me to love others unconditionally and truly feel their needs. Behind all her confidence and boldness is the gentle and sweet spirit of my Alpal.

Sometimes I dream of raiding her closet. Here's why:


So naturally when she asked me to make a dress for her 8th grade dance I jumped at the chance. Many design and construction brainstorming sessions later, I get this text advising me of the restrictions this little soiree has set:


Backless options not allowed. She knows me - I was about to send her out of middle school with a backless, sleeveless, strappy number. Not. That may typically be my preferred route but not this time.
(Did I mention she makes me laugh harder than anyone I've ever met?)

Purple + Silver. Those were my guidelines. Ally's got a little sass, so I knew embellished fabrics were a go. One-shoulder tie and rosette skirt fit that sweet girl's silhouette so perfectly. I wouldn't dare ruin the thrill of donning a custom frock to an 8th grade dance, so I'll only share a peek until then.

2 comments:

  1. You are adorable. No doubt, she'll be the best dressed there!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This dress looks gorgeous! Wonderful work

    ReplyDelete